Video and Multimedia
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
This video talks about what motivation is, why it is important, and the four main theories of motivation.
- Explain the theories of motivation described in this video.
- What is motivation?
- What motivates you as a student?
- Why should managers understand each of these theories of motivation? Explore each one with a specific example.
An exploration of what motivates people to work, and what can be demotivating.
- What motivates you in your work?
- What happened in the Lego experiment?
- How can a manager help employees feel a sense of autonomy, mastery, and purpose?
This video mini-lecture on expectancy theory shows the thought process behind work behaviors.
- Why should managers understand expectancy theory?
- Think of a situation in which an understanding of expectancy theory may have led to increased performance.
Negative reinforcement and punishment are two different topics often confused. It is important to know the difference between the two and how to best utilize the approaches.
- Which approach do you most relate with, negative reinforcement or punishment?
- Explain a time in your life where both or either approach was practiced.
- Explain when either approach might be more beneficial when managing people. Give an example for each.
Joshua Klein shows how positive reinforcement can be used to maintain particular behaviors in crows.
- In what situations have you used positive reinforcement in the past? In what situations might you use it in the future?
- Why should managers understand reinforcement? Give an example of a situation in which a manager could use positive reinforcement to boost employee performance.
This whiteboard animation video of Dan Pink’s RSA talk examines how motivation is more complex than just offering people more money for their work to increase performance.
- How does performance differ for mechanical skills versus cognitive skills when the rewards are high versus when they are low? Why?
- According to Pink, how can money be used as a motivator?
- Who in your life has been able to “get out of the way” so you can focus on work that gives you meaning?