After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the three ways communication flows through organizations.
- Discuss information technology and how IT is used, describe the three primary types of information systems, and list the five components of an information network.
- List the four steps in the interpersonal communication process and the nine barriers to communication.
- State the major advantages and disadvantages of oral and written communication and a general guide to channel selection.
- Name the five steps in the process of sending face-to-face messages, and describe paraphrasing and why it is useful.
- Identify and explain the three parts of the process of receiving messages and active listening.
- Define five response styles, describe how to deal with emotional people, and discuss guides to giving and receiving criticism.