Video and Multimedia
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
This video is an illustration of organizational communication and how it works within an organization.
- How does communication make up our social world?
- Organizations exist as communication. What does this mean?
- What do we gain with a conventional approach to organizational communication?
- Why does it seem in our technology era that there are even more communication issues?
Nancy Duarte talks through the ideas and effectiveness of great communicators. She shares practical advice for anyone looking to improve their communication and presentation skills.
- Do you have the power to change the world?
- How did Martin Luther King communicate so well?
- Why do we hold back our ideas?
- What ideas do you have which you could share in your story?
Amy Cuddy’s TED talk, “Your body language shapes who you are” describes how nonverbal communication not only influences others, but also oneself.
- What is your posture like now? Does this relate to how you feel, as Cuddy suggests?
- Do a posing exercise as Cuddy recommends. Do you feel better able to meet your goals?
- Why should a manager understand Cuddy’s argument about body language?
- Consider the body language of those around you now, or in a typical situation you’ve had with others. What does the body language you see, or have seen, say about the situation or the individuals in that situation?
Simon Sinek demonstrates the planning process for creating a presentation.
- Sinek says that presenting is like a journey. Why should a manager consider the structure? Why should a manager “start with the end in mind” in presenting information to employees?
- Describe three recommendations Sinek makes about presenting an idea.
- What is the “spirit of giving” that Sinek describes?