After reading this chapter, you should be able to
• List the six major methods of data collection.
• Explain the difference between method of data collection and research method.
• Define and explain the characteristics of each of the six methods of data collection.
• Explain the different modes of administration of the methods of data collection.
• Explain the concept of standardization.
• Explain the key characteristics of the four different types of interviews.
• Describe the four roles the researcher can take in qualitative interviewing.
• List at least five commonly used interviewing probes.
• Explain how the fundamental principle of mixed research can be applied to methods of data collection and provide an example.
• State the two “cardinal rules” of educational research mentioned in this chapter.