After reading this chapter, you should be able to
• Critically evaluate the quality of an empirical research study.
• Identify research problems.
• Explain why it is necessary to conduct a literature search.
• Conduct a literature search.
• Explain the reason for stating the purpose of a research study and the research questions.
• Explain the difference between purpose statements and research questions in qualitative and quantitative studies.
• Explain the purpose and necessity of stating your research questions and hypotheses.
• Explain the difference between problem statements in qualitative and quantitative studies.
• State one or two research questions you would like to answer using empirical research.