After reading this chapter, you should be able to
• Explain the difference between a sample and a census.
• Define the key terms used in sampling (representative sample, generalize, element, statistic, parameter, and so forth).
• Compare and contrast the different random sampling techniques.
• Know which sampling techniques are equal probability of selection methods.
• Draw a simple random sample.
• Draw a systematic sample.
• Explain the difference between proportional and disproportional stratified sampling.
• Explain the characteristics of one-stage and two-stage cluster sampling.
• List and explain the characteristics of the different nonrandom sampling techniques.
• Explain the difference between random selection and random assignment.
• List the factors that you should consider when determining the appropriate sample size to be selected when using random sampling.
• Discuss sampling in qualitative research and compare and contrast the different sampling techniques used in qualitative research.
• Explain the two criteria that produce the 10 methods of sampling in mixed research.