After reading this chapter, you should be able to
• List the major strengths and limitations of qualitative research.
• List the major strengths and limitations of quantitative research.
• Define mixed research (also called mixed methods research).
• List several synonyms for the term mixed research.
• Explain how to use the notational system that is used to depict mixed research designs.
• Compare and contrast the nine mixed methods research designs.
• List and explain Greene, Caracelli, and Graham’s (1989) five purposes or rationales for conducting mixed research.
• Describe the eight major steps in the mixed research process.
• Explain the strengths and limitations of mixed research.