After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
1. Discuss the role of the U.S. Constitution as it relates to education.
2. Identify emerging legal issues in education related to uses of social media, particularly in terms of privacy, harassment, and discrimination.
3. Describe the themes within major issues that although addressed in the past continue to be major topics within the legal system.
4. Analyze key aspects of students’ rights and the implications of those rights for teachers.
5. Provide examples of teachers’ responsibilities, rights, and liabilities.