After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
1. Explain the organizational relationships between teachers, the school principal, and other school staff.
2. Summarize important functions and relationships of school districts and state governments as they affect teachers.
3. Describe ways that the federal government influences education and the work of teachers.
4. Recognize the differences between good and bad governance.
5. Describe the different sources of funds for education and issues related to each source.
6. Examine the major ways that funds for schools are spent.
7. Identify key issues with implications for teachers about the organization and funding of schools.