After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
1. Analyze public perspectives about the quality of schools and teachers.
2. Respect the diversity of students’ families and understand the importance of not stereotyping students based on their family structure and size.
3. Assess the impact of family culture on the learning and teaching process.
4. Analyze the influence of religious beliefs and native language on curriculum and instruction in your school.
5. Evaluate the school choices available to families in many communities.
6. Create strategies for effectively working with families and the community to support student learning.