After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
1. Identify the range of variables that influence teachers and teaching.
2. Know the steps one can take to earn a teaching license.
3. List reasons educators consider teaching a profession similar to law and medicine.
4. Look at the ways to find a job and assess which one will work best for you.
5. Develop patterns of behavior that will contribute to a successful career as a teacher.
6. Track your personal and professional growth as a teacher and the directions that growth can lead.