After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
1. Illustrate how the race and ethnicity of all students can be respected and valued in classroom activities so that all students have optimal opportunities to learn at a high level.
2. Evaluate the importance of holding high expectations for all students regardless of the socioeconomic status (SES) of their families.
3. Describe at least three instructional programs that are used with English Language Learners (ELLs) and explain some of the advantages and disadvantages of each of them.
4. Explain how you can build on gender differences to provide equitable instruction for both girls and boys.
5. List actions you could take to be supportive of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer or Questioning (LGBTQ) students in classrooms and schools.
6. Analyze the impact of the religious beliefs of students and their families on classroom and school practices in your community.