Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- Have students watch the Frontline video Juvenile Justice: Should Teens Who Commit Serious Crimes Be Tried and Sentenced as Children or Adults at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/juvenile/.
- Then, discuss whether they agree with the judge’s decisions on waiver or lack of a waiver to adult court in these four cases. Have students also discuss how the law specifies that judges handle these cases based on their observations of the courtroom hearings in the video.
Chapter 6 discusses the purpose and scope of the juvenile court as stated in the Uniform Juvenile Court Act of 1968. The memo found at http://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5216_005.pdf is designed to establish procedures required for juveniles under the age of 18 and those sentenced under the federal Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act (JJDPA). The following exercises will help you understand these procedures as well.
- What are the changes that this particular document intends to address?
- Explain the program objectives.
- Explain the limitations on these specifications.