Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
This is a documentary about gangs in El Salvador by a French producer who a few years later was also killed by a gang. This is a small proof from the kind of life of these young people, who are often children, who die daily on the streets of this small country. Today, there is almost no neighborhood without the presence of gangs and the government is still unable to find a solution.
- Review the video El Salvador Gang Documentary at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLgSjLtWka4.
- Explain the elements of informal social control that are used in the El Salvador justice system.
- Explain how the El Salvador system is different than the U.S. justice system.
In this chapter, we discuss the various justice systems around the world as well as different international documents that specify standards for treatment of juveniles. Thus, it is important to be able to understand and compare the methods of different countries in dealing with juveniles to the method used in the United States. Access the article “The Integration of Formal and Informal Social Control in China” by Allan Y. Jiao at www.crime.hku.hk/2ccgc/papers/allanjiao.doc.
- Explain the elements of informal social control that are used in the Chinese justice system.
- Explain how the Chinese system is different than the U.S. justice system.
- Explain which system you think is better and more beneficial for juveniles, the United States or China.