Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- Have students watch the Frontline video Juvenile Justice: Should Teens Who Commit Serious Crimes Be Tried and Sentenced as Children or Adults at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/juvenile/.
- Then, discuss what theories of crime would likely apply to one of the four offenders based on the information students gained about the juveniles from the video and the crimes they have committed.
In order to better understand how social disorganization may lead to juvenile delinquency, utilize the resources from the following website: http://www.crimetheory.com/Soc1/Chic2.htm.
- What is social disorganization theory?
- Click on the “concentric-zone model” link. Explain the concentric-zone model.
- How is the concentric-zone model tied to juvenile delinquency?
- Do you feel that the concentric-zone model is a valid explanation for juvenile delinquency? Explain.