1. Identify and explain the different functions that legislatures perform.
2. This chapter makes the case that not all legislatures are democratic. Explain why this is the case. What are some aspects of the U.S. Congress that are not democratic?
3. Explain how the structure of legislatures helps to minimize the collective action problem.
4. Identify and discuss the five basic functions of legislatures. Is one function more important than another? Explain.
5. Is C-SPAN or C-SPAN2 the most boring channel on cable?
6 What are the strengths and weaknesses of a single-member district process of selecting representatives for a democratic legislature?
7. Surprise . . . What are the strengths and weaknesses of a proportional representation process of selecting representatives for a democratic legislature?
8. Why would a dictator have a legislature?