After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the social forces and the mega-wrestling match struggle for power between king and church.
- Identify the nature, roles, and effectiveness of legislatures. Zzz...
- Distinguish between presidential strength and independence versus parliamentary expediency and efficiency—all in fifty words or less.
- Describe how alliances are cobbled together across parties for a ruling seat in the legislature.
- Explain how even authoritarian regimes use legislatures to make themselves credible.
- Always wear clean underwear, just in case you get hit by a bus and are hauled off to the hospital.