1. This chapter discusses a number of theories that seek to explain international relations. Which of these theories do you believe best explains the current world situation? Why?
2. What are the three key assumptions that underlie the realist perspective on international relations?
3. What are the flaws in the realist perspective? What are the flaws in the other perspectives?
4. What prompted the development of idealism as an approach to international relations?
5. Find an article or editorial that discusses the issue of globalization. Do you agree with the perspective expressed in the piece you have selected? Why or why not?
6. What is a hegemon? What role does a hegemon play in international relations?