1. Think about some of the problems that the world confronts today—for example, the dwindling supply of petroleum, and arms proliferation. How does the tragedy of the commons help to explain why these problems are so difficult to solve?
2. How does the tragedy of the commons demonstrate the need for a basic and continuing economic role for government?
3. What is Marx’s most pointed critique of industrial capitalism?
4. Do you think that Marx’s communism could ever work? Why or why not?
5. Explain how labor and currency are each considered a shared resource in need of governmental regulations.
6. What is the ideal balance between socialism and capitalism? Why?