Chapter 5: Sampling and Generalizability
Research that Matters:
Research about Social Problems:
- McPherson, Miller, Lynn Smith-Lovin, and Matthew E. Brashears. 2006. “Social Isolation in America: Changes in Core Discussion Networks Over Two Decades.” American Sociological Review 71:353–375.
- Bell, Joyce B. and Douglas Hartmann. 2007. “Diversity in Everyday Discourse: The Cultural Ambiguities and Consequences of “Happy Talk.” American Sociological Review, 72(6):895-914.
- Bennett, Lauren, Lisa Goodman, and Mary Ann Dutton. 1999. “Systemic Obstacles to the Criminal Prosecution of a Battering Partner: A Victim Perspective.” Journal of Interpersonal Violence 14:761–772.
- Hampton, Keith N. and Barry Wellman. 2001. “Long Distance Community in the Network Society.” American Behavioral Scientist 45:476–495.
- Ling, Rich and Gitte Stald. 2010. “Mobile Communities: Are We Talking About a Village, a Clan, or a Small Group?” American Behavioral Scientist 53(8):113-1147.
- Budig, Michelle J. and Melissa J. Hodges. 2010. “Differences in Disadvantage: Variation in the Motherhood Penalty across White Women’s Earnings Distribution.” American Sociological Association 75(5): 705-728.