Chapter 4: Conceptualization and Measurement
Research that Matters:
- Webb, Vincent J., Ling Ren, Jihong “Solomon” Zhao, Ni “Phil” He, and Ineke Haen Marshall. 2011. “A Comparative Study of Youth Gangs in China and the United States: Definition, Offending, and Victimization.” International Criminal Justice Review 21(3): 225-242.
Research about Social Problems:
- Hampton, Keith N. and Barry Wellman. 2001. “Long Distance Community in the Network Society.” American Behavioral Scientist 45:476–495.
- McPherson, Miller, Lynn Smith-Lovin, and Matthew E. Brashears. 2006. “Social Isolation in America: Changes in Core Discussion Networks Over Two Decades.” American Sociological Review 71:353–375.
- Leakey, Tricia, Kevin B. Lunde, Karin Koga, and Karen Glanz. 2004. “Written Parental Consent and the Use of Incentives in a Youth Smoking Prevention Trial: A Case Study From Project SPLASH.” American Journal of Evaluation 25:509–523.
- Paxton, Pamela. 2002. “Social Capital and Democracy: An Interdependent Relationship.” American Sociological Review 67:254–277.