Chapter 1: Science, Society, and Social Research
Research that Matters:
Research about Social Problems:
- McPherson, Miller, Lynn Smith-Lovin, Matthew E. Brashers. 2006. “Social Isolation in America: Changes in Core Discussion Networks over Two Decades.” American Sociological Review, 71(3): 353-375.
- Ling, Rich, and Gitte Stald. 2010. “Mobile Communities: Are We Talking About a Village, a Clan, or a Small Group?” American Behavioral Scientist, 53:1133-1147.
- Leakey, Tricia, Kevin B. Lunde, Karin Koga, and Karan Glanz. 2004. “Written Parental Consent and the Use of Incentives in a Youth Smoking Prevention Trial: A Case Study From Project SPLASH.” American Journal of Evaluation, 25(4):509-523.
- St. Pierre, Robert G. and Peter H. Rossi. 2006. “Randomize Groups, Not Individuals: A Strategy for Improving Childhood Programs.” Evaluation Review, 30:656.
- Rodriguez, Havidan, Joseph Trainor, and Enrico L. Quarantelli. 2006. “Rising to the Challenges of a Catastrophe: The Emergent and Prosocial Behavior following Hurricane Katrina.” The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 604:82-101.