Allport, Gordon. 1954. The Nature of Prejudice. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
The classic work on individual prejudice.
- Baca, Zinn, Maxine, Hondagneu-Sotelo, Pierrette, and Messner, Michael. 2010. Gender Through the Prism of Difference. New York: Oxford University Press.
o A global perspective on gender that stresses intersectionality.
- Feagin, Joseph. 2001. RacistAmerica. New York: Routledge.
o A passionate analysis of the pervasiveness of racism and antiblack prejudice in America.
- Morning, Ann. 2011.The Nature of Race: How Scientists Think and Teach About Human Difference. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
o An intriguing, very well written study of the ways the concept of race is presented and perpetuated in modern science
- New York Times. 2001. How Race is Lived in America. New York: Times Books.
o An in-depth look at the continuing importance of race in American life conducted by correspondents of the New York Times. Based on the Pulitzer-Prize winning television documentary
- Omi, Michael, & Winant, Howard. 1986. Racial Formation in the United States from the 1960s to the 1980s. New York: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
o An adept analysis of the social and political uses of race.
- Smedley, Audrey and Smedley, Brian. 2011. Race in North American: Origin and Evolution of a Worldview. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
o An analysis of the origins of the American view of race.
- Takaki, Ronald. 1993. A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America. Boston: Little, Brown.
o A highly readable look at minority groups and cultural diversity in American life.