After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Identify the main classes of drugs.
- Describe the effects of each class of drugs on the nervous system.
- Predict how different drugs will affect behavior, based on the neural systems on which those drugs act.
- Illustrate how the brain changes during addiction.
- Discuss the role of learning in overdose and addiction.
- Explain how pharmacology can be used to treat addiction.
- Contrast the environmental and hereditary influences on addiction.