After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Explain how scientific theories are generated.
- Demonstrate how scientists test hypotheses.
- Describe the differences between correlational and experimental studies.
- Assess the methods that scientists have for studying the role of brain structures in behavior.
- Compare the methods that scientists use to investigate the structure and function of brain cells.
- Identify the ethical protections that are in place for human participants.
- Summarize the ethical protections that exist for research animals.
- Examine the ethical concerns that have been raised about stem cell and gene therapy research.