After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Identify the cells of the nervous system.
- Name the structures of neurons.
- Compare the functions of sensory, motor, and interneurons.
- Explain the roles of ions and the cell membrane in nervous system communication.
- Demonstrate how neurotransmitters are involved in communication between nervous system cells.
- Discuss how neurons work together to generate your experiences of the world.
- Illustrate the ways that excitation and inhibition are important to the functioning of the nervous system.