After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe how scientists have defined intelligence.
- Critique the scientific methods for measuring intelligence.
- Identify how the structure of the nervous system relates to intelligence.
- Appraise the relative contributions of heredity and environment to intelligence.
- Assess the impact of the typical aging process on cognitive functioning.
- Compare the impacts of intellectual disability, autism, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder on intelligence.