After completing this chapter you should be able to:
- Describe salient business ethics issues in precapitalist civilizations.
- Summarize the ethical foundation of capitalism as argued by Adam Smith in the 1700s.
- Explain ethical issues experienced in the United States since adopting capitalism.
- Assess the strengths and weaknesses of the narrow and broad conceptions of social responsibility.
- Appraise the historical shift back and forth between mandatory business regulations and voluntary ethical enhancements.
- Apply the Optimal Ethics Systems Model to create a high-integrity work culture.