8-1 What Is Bureaucracy?
- Describe the bureaucracy as part of the executive branch of government, organized hierarchically, that implements federal policy.
8-2 What Does the Federal Bureaucracy Do?
- Define delegated authority and explain the oversight function of Congress over the bureaucracy.
8-3 The Development of the Federal Bureaucracy
- Describe how the federal bureaucracy has evolved over time, including substantial growth spurts as a result of the New Deal and Great Society programs and the Cold War.
8-4 Getting Control of the Growing Bureaucracy
- Explain methods for attempting to control or reduce the size and scope of the federal bureaucracy through privatization, devolution, deregulation, and accountability.
8-5 The Organization of the Federal Bureaucracy
- Distinguish between the different types of agencies in the federal bureaucracy.
8-6 The Federal Workforce
- Describe the large scope of the federal workforce and the civil service rules governing federal employment.