13-1 The Development of Political Parties in the United States
- Explain the historical development of the party system and the role of “critical elections,” partisan realignment, and partisan dealignment in the United States.
13-2 The Functions of Political Parties
- Identify and explain the four broad functions of political parties.
13-3 Why a Two-Party System?
- Describe the historical and legal factors that contributed to the development of the two-party system.
13-4 Party Organizations
- Illustrate how party organizations operate at the national, state, and local levels and how they help their candidates win elections.
- Evaluate the role of state governments in managing elections and the effect of constitutional amendments on the expansion of voting rights.
13-6 Exercising the Franchise
- Assess the factors in influencing voter turnout and how it has trended over time.
13-7 Participation beyond Voting
- Explain the many forms of political participation beyond voting.