4-1 The Bill of Rights: Origins and Evolution
- Compare civil rights to civil liberties; discuss the origins of the Bill of Rights and the process of incorporation.
4-2 Freedom of Religion and the Establishment Clause
- Describe the free exercise clause; identify the rules governing the separation of church and state, and explain the tests for upholding government accommodations of religion.
4-3 Free Expression Rights
- Assess the scope of free speech and free press rights, including the rules for exempting from protection lesser-value speech such as libel and obscenity.
4-4 The Right to Bear Arms and the Rights of the Criminally Accused
- Assess the scope of the Second, Fourth, and Fifth Amendment rights, as well as rights granted under the Sixth and Eighth Amendments.
4-5 The Modern Right to Privacy
- Define the modern privacy rights that apply to government restrictions on abortion, same-sex acts, and euthanasia.