- While today it may seem strange that homosexuality was once classified as a mental illness, it was only taken out of the DSM in 1973. This means that many Americans grew up with the idea that homosexuality was a mental illness. What do you think is the continuing impact of that idea in our culture today?
- Have you ever been in an emergency situation that led to collective behavior? Did you see evidence of the emergent norm theory? Describe the collective behaviors you witnessed.
- What would it take for you to join a social movement? List social issues you would be willing to march for.
- How do you think HIV/AIDS might have changed the Gay Rights Movement?
- Discuss the history of the feminist movement in the United States. How are modern-day feminists likely to use different strategies than previous generations?