After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
1. Define what it means to view culture as “structured.”
2. Explain what it means to view culture as “transacted.”
3. Describe how communication is organized to reflect cultural beliefs about context, collectivism/individualism, and time.
4. Explain what it means to say culture is coded into communication.
5. Clarify what it means to say that cultural groups are created through communication.
6. Outline how people enact cultural membership through communication.