After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Explain why a t distribution is associated with n − 1 degrees of freedom and describe the information that is conveyed by the t statistic.
2. Calculate the degrees of freedom for a onesample t test and locate critical values in the t table.
3. Identify the assumptions for the one-sample t test.
4. Compute a one-sample t test and interpret the results.
5. Compute and interpret effect size and proportion of variance for a one-sample t test.
6. Describe the process of estimation and identify two types of estimation.
7. Compute and interpret confidence intervals for the one-sample t test.
8. Summarize the results of a one-sample t test in APA format.
9. Compute a one-sample t test and identify confidence intervals using SPSS.