After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Distinguish between descriptive and inferential statistics.
2. Explain how samples and populations, as well as a sample statistic and population parameter, differ.
3. Describe three research methods commonly used in behavioral science.
4. State the four scales of measurement and provide an example for each.
5. Distinguish between quantitative and qualitative variables.
6. Distinguish between continuous and discrete variables.
7. Enter data into SPSS by placing each group in a separate column and each group in a single column (coding is required).