After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Why do sociologists do research?
- What are some of the different ways that sociologists collect data?
- How do sociologists analyze data?
- Think of a topic you might like to study. What would be the first steps in developing a research project on that topic?
- Think of a hypothesis you’d like to test. What are the variables you would use to test it, and what type of sample would you use?
- How do sociologists evaluate the quality of research?
- How do sociologists evaluate news articles and graphical presentations that use survey data?