After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- How do sociologists define religion, religiosity, and spirituality?
- What are pluralism and secularization?
- What is fundamentalism?
- What are the current trends in religious affiliation and participation in the United States?
- How does the process of global diffusion apply to religion?
- How do each of the major theoretical paradigms in sociology explain religion?
- What are some recent examples of how religion has fostered social change efforts?