Multiple choice questions
Which of the following are assumptions underlying the use of parametric tests (based on the normal distribution)?
- All of the options are true.
- Some feature of the data should be normally distributed.
- The samples being tested should have approximately equal variances.
- The data should be at least interval level.
Answer: All of the options are true
Which of the following is the least affected by outliers?
- The range
- The mean
- The median
- The standard deviation
Answer: The median
Which of the following is not a transformation that can be used to correct skewed data?
- Log transformation
- Square root transformation
- Reciprocal transformation
- Tangent transformation
Answer: Tangent transformation
If we were to pull all possible samples from a population, calculate the mean for every sample, and construct a graph of the shape of the distribution based on all of the means, what would we have?
- The population distribution of the mean
- The sampling distribution of the mean
- The bootstrap distribution of the mean
- The standard error of the mean
Answer: The sampling distribution of the mean
Approximately what percentage of people would have scores lower than an individual with a z-score of 1.65 in a normally distributed sample?
- It is not possible to calculate this unless the mean and standard deviation are given.