After studying this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Define the terms intergovernmental organization (IGO) and nongovernmental organization (NGO), and explain their roles in the international system.
- Define international law, and outline its historical development.
- Explain the purpose and basic functions of the United Nations (UN).
- Define the concept of interdependence.
- Explain the function of regional organizations.
- Define the concept of civil society.
- Describe the major activities of the International Criminal Court (ICC) and explain the court’s relevance.