After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Compare the president’s roles as head of state and head of government.
- Compare the modern presidency with the founders’ expectations for a limited executive.
- Identify strategies and tools presidents employ to overcome the constitutional limitations of the office.
- Describe the organization and functions of the executive office.
- Evaluate the importance of leadership style and image as they relate to presidential power.
- Give examples of ways in which public opinion affects the relationship between citizens and the president.