After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand the competition among different colonial powers for control of America.
- Describe the events and political motivations that led to the colonies’ split with England.
- Explain what the Articles of Confederation did and what it failed to do.
- Identify the goals, divisions, and compromises that shaped the Constitution.
- Summarize the debate over ratification of the Constitution.
- Explain the role of everyday citizens in the founding of the United States.