After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the criteria used by the courts to determine if and when the law can treat people differently.
- Summarize key events and outcomes in the struggle for equality of African Americans.
- Explain the different paths to equality taken by other racial and ethnic groups.
- Describe how women have fought for equality and the changing role of women in American politics.
- Recognize examples of other groups that face discrimination.
- Identify tools used by citizens to expand the promise of civil rights.