After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify the basic goals and types of foreign policy.
- Explain the roles of Congress, the president, and the executive branch in making foreign policy.
- Explain how global and domestic pressures shape American foreign policy.
- Describe the strategies and instruments used to address foreign policy issues.
- Summarize the foreign policy challenges facing the United States today.
- Describe the tension between national security and democracy and what it means for citizens.