After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the role politics plays in determining how power and resources are distributed in a society.
- Compare different economic and political systems in terms of how power is distributed between citizens and government.
- Explain the historical origins of American democracy.
- Describe the enduring tension in the United States between self-interested human nature and public spirited government
- Apply the five steps of critical thinking to this book's themes of power and citizenship in American politics.