After reading this chapter, you should be able to:
- Outline the structure of federalism today.
- Discuss the impact of the political cultures that exist in different states.
- Describe the ways in which varying rules in state constitutions affect the process of devolution.
- Explain how state government institutions have changed in order to take on new tasks.
- Examine the relationships between local governments and state politics.
- Describe the relationships between citizens and their state and local governments.