After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define the different ways in which citizens can participate in the political process.
- Analyze the dynamics of voter turnout and explore its impact on the party system and political decision making.
- Summarize the key factors that influence people’s voting decisions.
- Understand how campaigns influence citizens’ choices and examine the strategic decisions campaigns face.
- Evaluate the causes of party polarization and its impact on U.S. politics.