After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Explain the features that distinguish presidential from parliamentary systems.
- Describe the five principal roles of the president as laid out in the Constitution, new roles not found in the Constitution, and the reasons those roles have changed over time.
- Analyze the factors that affect a president’s approval ratings.
- Describe the staff support that allows the president to manage and fulfill the responsibilities of his role.
- Understand the president’s primary goals and the strategies the president employs to achieve these goals.