After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Explore the importance of bureaucracy in American government and understand the tensions between bureaucratic power and democratic ideals.
- Discuss how Weber’s model reflects the development of modern bureaucracy and describe the features that distinguish the U.S. federal bureaucracy from other public bureaucracies around the world.
- Examine the growth of federal bureaucratic power in the United States.
- Identify the numerous organizational structures that make up the federal bureaucracy and describe the unique role that each one plays.
- Analyze the factors that determine the true size of the U.S. federal bureaucracy.
- Understand the means by which the public holds government administrators and their actions accountable.