After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Analyze the factors that contributed to the development of U.S. elections.
- Describe each phase of the presidential campaign and the strategies that determine candidates’ success.
- Examine the congressional election process and understand what makes it so difficult to unseat incumbent members.
- Describe the different types of electoral systems and their impact, including that of the Electoral College.
- Analyze how the U.S. electoral system affects the representation of women and minorities in government.
- Understand why it is difficult to regulate campaign expenditures.