After reading this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the role and responsibility of the media in a democratic system.
- Examine new advances in media dissemination and explore their influence on the democratic process in the United States.
- Explain why the federal government has more power to regulate broadcast media than print media.
- Analyze the relationship between the government and media reporters.
- Assess the way the media reports the news and consider how such reporting can lead to certain types of media bias and formulaic news coverage.